Friday, August 5, 2011

Book Review -- Heaven is For Real


I recently read my second book from booksneeze.com.  I chose “Heaven is For Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back” by Todd Burpo.  The title had me hooked.  A little boy goes to heaven and tells us about it?  Great!  The author’s four-year old son, Colton, was very sick and nearly died before they figured out what was wrong with him.  The story is told by Todd Burpo and often includes quotes from the son. 
I am torn about how I feel about this book.  Much of it is just telling the story that leads up to Colton getting sick and going into emergency surgery.  There seems to only be a few pages of Colton describing what he saw while in heaven.  I did find it interesting that he saw his dad crying and praying.  He gives details that are scripturally based.  They did make me wonder if Mr. Burpo influenced his son in any way or helped him by supplying details or information. 
I was raised in church and I don’t want to be skeptical.  However, I think that part of the reason that the Bible is vague about heaven is that he doesn’t want us to know about it.  We probably cannot comprehend the amazingness of heaven.  The story told by Mr. Burpo gives few details not found in the Bible.  It was interesting but I am glad that I did not pay for the book.  I probably won’t loan this one out to friends.

1 comment:

  1. Funny that those who see this as "proof" are so easily convinced of something....must be the religious background/persuasion.

    ReplyDelete